IR+M’s multi-sector approach to incorporate Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) factors into our firm-wide investment process complements our approach to Sustainable and Responsible Investing (SRI). We strive to conduct business responsibly and sustainably while adding value to our surrounding community.
- IR+M’s office is located in an Energy Star and LEED Silver Star Certified Building
- Our location is centrally located to all forms of mass transport which enables employees to commute on train, subway, bus, bike, and foot
- Recent office renovations utilize state-of-the-art T-8 LED lighting, motion sensors, and a Computerized Energy Management System for optimized energy efficiency
- Our recycling program includes single stream recycling containers at all desks, routine recycling audits, and a central compost for organic waste
- We are committed to reducing consumption of disposables and encourage double-sided printing, and reusable office dishware
Commitment to ESG + Socially Responsible Investing
- As a PRI signatory, IR+M has a dedicated cross-functional group focused on ESG issues
- IR+M offers a full-service SRI solution, in which we construct customized portfolios that adhere to our clients’ specific social screening requirements
IR+M’s Approach to SRI
- We construct diversified portfolios that meet our clients’ SRI needs and adhere to their specific standards
- Our approach incorporates criteria to exclude issuers based on a company’s involvement in a given area of business
- IR+M utilizes a third-party data and research provider to monitor social restrictions
- Investments are screened on a pre-trade and post-trade basis within our trade order management system, LatentZero
- We seek to maintain broadly diversified portfolios and considers the impact of SRI screens as part of the investment process
- We incorporate social screens into our credit review process in tandem with the mosaic theory
- Companies that routinely violate environmental regulations, abuse corporate power, and exhibit governance issues tend to have more volatile credit spreads, headline risk, and potential for negative event risk
- Approximately 15% of IR+M’s assets under management are subject to SRI screening
- Sample areas of screening are: Healthcare, Adult Entertainment, Alcohol, Environmental Performance, Gambling, Predatory Lending, Tobacco, and Weapons Production
In May of 2013, IR+M became a signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment
(“UNPRI”). This was an important milestone in our continued commitment to responsible investing, which includes a 15+ year track record of managing Socially Responsible Investment portfolios.
As a signatory, we have formally pledged to consider
Environmental, Social, and Governance factors during our investment decision-making process. We believe this commitment complements our investment approach and inspires us to further enhance the integration of ESG factors into our process.
For a PDF of this page click here.
For information about our Core SRI strategy click here.
For further information, please contact us here.
As of 9/30/17
The views contained in this report are those of IR+M and are based on information obtained by IR+M from sources that are believed to be reliable. This report is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide specific advice, recommendations for, or projected returns of any particular IR+M product. No part of this material may be reproduced in any form, or referred to in any other publication, without express written permission from Income Research & Management.